Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dialogue- Based on Ovid’s Pyramus and Thisbee

We were all asked to read an extract entitled Pyramus and Thisbee. Looking at the title, it sounds so boring…Thisbee??? Out of the many names in the world, why Thisbee? It sounds like someone who can’t pronounce the consonant ‘s’. Anyway, after reading the extract, we were asked to form a group of six and came up with the contemporary version of Pyramus and Thisbee. This is the most challenging yet interesting part. We can change the story the way we like it. But there was one problem. We were required to perform our version in front of the class. Writing a new version is not much a problem, but performing the newly written version is so not my league. I’m just not a good actress. I usually make a fool of myself every time I performed in the class. But this is a requirement, so not much that I can say. I guess I just have to go with the flow. Adapting this activity in the language classroom would be something new and interesting but I doubt whether the students would be able to write a contemporary version of the story. Perhaps students with higher proficiency level would be able to this well, but the students who are not comfortable with English; they would find this activity as a threat to them

No comments: