Thursday, October 8, 2009

Jigsaw reading- Malcom X

This time around we were asked to work in groups, but not in the same group that we did all the assignments before. We were not allowed to choose our group members. Each of my group members were put into different groups and in that group we need to work on an extract from a text. Each group were given a part of the text about Malcolm X. Ms Dzeelfa said that we were going to do jumble reading, which means we will be working on a long text, and the text will be divided into parts. Each group will get a part or an extract from the text, and we need to read and understand it. Then, we were asked to form back our usual group and discuss about the different parts of the text. At first, I was reluctant to do this task because I really don’t like to read long literally text, especially from Malcom X! How interesting could it be? After I read my part in my newly performed group, I fully understood the extract that I read. Then when I got back into my usual group, we discussed about each of the different extract, and guess what? I finally understand what the whole text was about without reading it! I really like this method. I mean, it saves our time a lot. I don’t have to crack my head reading all those stuff about Malcom X. In my opinion, this kind of method will probably work best in school, especially when you are teaching a very long text. If I got bored reading long text, just imagine how the students would feel about long text. This method somehow will definitely help them in understanding a long text without having them to finish reading the text.

No comments: